Plan to join us for stimulating and thought provoking events, as listed on our monthly calendar!
A monthly one-hour text-based shi'ur (study session) on our middah (spiritual/ethical quality) of the month. Participation may be on a drop-in basis. The class will meet at WES on the following Wednesday evenings during 5777: Sept. 21, Oct 19, Nov 16, Dec 21, Jan 25, Feb 22, Mar 15, Apr 19, May 17 and Thursday evening, June 22).
2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month, 7:30-9:30 pm. All are welcome to join our ongoing study of this book of the Bible. We read the text (in English) and consider it from the perspectives of literature, sacred text, religious mythology, family lore, psychology, drama, history, pop culture, and more. Drop in and join the conversation, or just listen and enjoy! No prior experience required.
West End Synagogue is committed to universal adult study of Jewish sources, history and cultural expression in its many forms. Through our Yad Mordecai Adult Education Project, we pursue our vision of a congregation as literate and well-educated in Jewish terms as it is in secular terms.
Yad Mordecai programs and activities focus on the vital areas of education, community, and outreach:
- Education - Working to deepen the congregation's Jewish knowledge at all levels through educational and cultural programs and events.
- Community - Involving members, enhancing interaction among the various WES populations, enriching the communal life of the congregation, and complementing school programs for parents.
- Outreach - Providing educational opportunities for the community at large that enhance Jewish living and promote Reconstructionism.
Activities sponsored by the Yad Mordecai Project include:
- Single-session lectures and courses, as well as longer series on selected topics by our Rabbi, Cantor, and invited speakers.
- A variety of musical, theatrical, and literary programs.
- Scholar in Residence and Artist in Residence programs that bring prominent figures in Jewish thought and culture to West End Synagogue.
We are particularly proud of our ground-breaking 2012-2013 Na'aleh adult bar/bar mitzvah program, which has been featured on the Innovating Congregations blog of the Jewish Education Project: http://innovatingcongregations.org/adult-barbat-mitzvah-a-vehicle-for-congregational-engagement/.
The Yad Mordecai Project has been funded by a grant from West End Synagogue founding members Dorothy and Sidney Becker.
For more information contact the wesoffice [at] westendsynagogue [dot] org (WES Office).